2009/10/29

Bugs & Mud

Yesterday, I caught "the" bug.  This stomach virus has been passed around like a prized possession from our granddaughter to everyone in the family...with the exception of my husband.  What's up with that?  The big question is "will he catch the bug?"

With a little sick time on my hands, I've had lots of time to ponder.  Thoughts of many things have crossed my mind: It's time to start Christmas shopping.  I wonder how the review of the manuscript is going.  I have such a great job (seriously).  Prodigals.  I love this mattress and comforter (nothing special, but soooo comfortable especially when I'm sick).  Hold up a minute...prodigals?  What?

I cannot seem to shake the thought of prodigals.  Being a prodigal myself, I've walked the hard road.  I recall the day I turned back to God.  I was pouring my heart out, and this man told me the story of the prodigal son.  He said I was ready to come back home.  Not really understanding the gold he had just shared with me, I began my journey back to Jesus.  Being a mom of 2 daughters, I vowed to teach my girls how NOT to take this road.  Fast forward about 15+ yrs, low and behold, my daughter ended up on the same street! 

Lately, every where I go, I feel like a magnet attracting families with hurting parents.  Parents concerned about the path their wayward son or daughter recently embraced.  A friend asked for prayer regarding her prodigal last Sunday.  The request brought me right back to my own journey.  I pulled out my journals from the season when my own daughter had made some decisions we were not very excited about and didn't support.  I was completely amazed and filled with excitement of God's faithfulness.  I saw just how involved He was in the situation.  He spoke so much over us, put encouragement in our paths, and just held our hands.  The very wise Robert Douglas told me "Sometimes your kids just have to go through the mud."  Nothing fancy, but very profound.  It's something I've never forgotten.  Although this may sound weird, I am truly grateful for the mud in my own life.  Without that mud, I wouldn't be who and where I am today.  

Now, the big question for me is "what am I going to do with this?"  Am I willing to beging writing another book when the one I'm still working on isn't finished?  Am I willing to be encouragement to those now in their own journey through the mud?  Am I willing to put myself out there for God's faithfulness to shine into the lives of others?  Am I willing?

No comments:

Post a Comment