2010/04/05

A Life of Doorkeeping

Pastor Dino Rizzo spoke last Wednesday night in the new Arena regarding Ps 84. There is so much depth in the Psalms if we just take the time to pick it apart. Pastor chose Ps 84 to pick apart.  I was especially intriged with verse 10 seeing how fitting it is for us at HPC.  We need so many more serving the house. I loved the message and thought I would share it with you. Enjoy!

"Soul Food Series"

The living presence of God radiates out of our lives as we serve Him with gladness and grace.  Its in how we treat others.  It's in how we live.  (we read through the entire chapter 84, but Pastor commented on a few verses in particular)

Vs. 2: My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
Only God can create living among the dieing.  Our God is a living breathing God.

Vs. 3: Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young-- a place near your altar, O Lord Almighty, my King and my God.
The sparrow laying her eggs represents new life in God's house and in His presence.

Vs. 6: As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
A belivers life is a pilgramage.  You never quite get there until in His presence. 
It's a life long journey.


Vs. 10: Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
If we are going to be a Doorkeeper, then we need to know what it means.  It's to abide by the threshold of God.  It's individual as well as corporate.  The Doorkeeper stands by the door.  They watch and notice things that others do not notice.  Someone who sees things going on that others don't pick up.  To be a Doorkeeper we must know what it means.  What is the responsibility, the outcome, the goal? 
Questions: Am I a Doorkeeper in my family, in my work, in my marriage?

4 MARKS OF A DOORKEEPER:   NOTE:  WE NEED MANY DOORKEEPERS IN THE ARENA!  MANY MORE DOORS.
1.  Doorkeepers help roll out the welcome mat.  They make sure it's rolled out.  They need to be welcoming.
Ever felt unwelcome?  If so, what was your response?  (never returning there, not gonna go back)
Questions:  Is my life welcoming to others?  How about at work?  Does my life say welcome at home?
Welcoming creates supernatural things.
Doorkeepers keep an eye out for the guest.
Being welcomed is a feeling.  When you go somewhere and they already know your name or are waiting on you, then you feel special and wanted. 
May God pour out a welcoming spirit on us.

2.  Doorkeepers bring energy and enthusiasm to a person's experience.
Ever been to a nice hotel?  They open the door for you, they already know you by name, they serve you.  What happens when no one speaks to you?  It makes you want to leave.  It takes a daily effort.  This is big for us in the kingdom of God. 
We've got to make sure the experience is great for every person that enters the House of the Lord.  It's not about a sermon or lighting or whatever.  It's about a persons experience with Jesus. 

3.  As a Doorkeeper, all of our invites become my responsibility. 
It is my responsibility to get the door for anyone that has been invited.  Everybody is everyone's responsibility.
With more invites, there is more work.  Doorkeepers are ok with more work.
It's about the view. Doorkeepers get to see something others don't see.  They have a perception of things that others may overlook or just miss.  They are attentive.

4.  Doorkeepers decide to give their best. 
Doorkeepers are convinced what's about to happen inside has the ability to change ones life.  They believe what they have experienced inside is available to all who enter.  "What God has done in my life, He can do in yours!"  
Doorkeepers are always serving.  They serve at the grocery store, the church, their work...  They serve everywhere they go.  Question:  What am I serving everywhere I go?
Doorkeepers believe in the Bible...the Word of God.  They are convinced in it.
Doorkeepers say "I'll change my life for you so that you can have this experience too.  I'll change my ... my parking spot, my service, my life just for you."  

Our goal:  THE WARMEST MOST WELCOMING PLACE I GO IS MY CHURCH. 
Lord help us if it's ever not.


********************************************************** 
I have been thinking about this message for the past week.  Speaking of message, I love the Message Version which says "I'd rather scrub the floors in the house of the Lord..."  What a great word about serving as a greeter (or any other area).  Made me think of the following questions in my personal life:
Am I welcoming to those in my life?
Do I bring energy or do I drain others in my serving?
Is my life speaking radiating Christ to others?

On a different but similar note, I read a devotional sunday morning mentioning "am I serving for rewards/blessing OR am I serving for God?" 

Lord, let it not be about a reward, recognition or blessing ... ever.  God, may my Doorkeeping be worship unto You.  Let me never look at it as an inconvenience or just as a job/duty.  Lord, open my eyes to Your perspective.  Give me Your view.  May my 10 seconds I have with someone coming in the door be a pleasing aroma to You and not some stinky odor.  May I be welcoming!  In Jesus mighty name!

No comments:

Post a Comment