2010/02/01

Prayer Lake

Retreats....  I often wonder why they are called this.  When I think of retreat, I imagine someone in battle deciding they cannot make it and running away from their opponent, fleeing.  On the other hand, what a "treat" retreats are.  I guess "re"-treating yourself to God is just that, one big treat.


Prayer Lake was more than I expected.  I am partial to the outdoors although I'm such a girl.  I want to see it all (wildlife) but I'm totally afraid of being near it.  I find thats when I experience God the most.  Through nature.  We were delighted to find out upon our arrival that we were in the Rose Cabin.  The pictures online were so cute, however, I would later learn that the room was much more than cute.  We didn't have time to check in the cabin before, so Nancy, Natalie and I settled right in for supper and a seat on the comfy couch.  We were expecting to hear from God (along with a room of women) and that's all that really mattered.  The speakers wasted no time presenting their topic.  I may have gone expecting, but I received so much more than anticipated.  

In an effort not to give away all of Joy Mounger and Lynn McCain's material (which would be pages and pages of many GREAT words), here are five of the MANY take-away's I received:


  • Life tries to steal away what we are all born with...Hope.  God doesn't create one person without hope inside of them.  The enemy comes to steal it at every opportunity he has.  However, God (knowing this would happen) planned in advance providing a way out.  He helps us reclaim the hope stolen from our very own hearts.  We must seek God all of the time, not just in crisis.  If we only seek Him in times of crisis, we'll be empty and hopeless.  Questions:  Am I in possession of my hope? Am I a crisis seeker or a full-time pursuer?
  • "You don't find ministry...it finds you."  We are all on a journey.  We try to pack more than we need in our suit case although we can only bring certain things.  When we overpack, the suitcase will prevent us from making it to our destination.  Very profound thought!  Too much weight, we cannot carry it.  Without the items we need, we are ill-prepared.  With items not approved, we cannot make it through check-in. Question:  What am I trying to pack that prevents me from moving forward?
  • God personally dealt with me about stealing the calling of others.  OUCH!  Either Joy or Lynn may have referenced this, but God definitely spoke this to me in detail.  When you do more than God calls you to do, it's stealing someone else's calling.  They were intended to do a job and if I do it for them, then it prevents them from stepping out and growing.  If I don't do my own calling, then I am stealing someone else's time that they should be using to fulfill their own calling.  Question:  Am I stealing?
  • Repent for judging spiritual authority.  We have to protect our pastors and leaders.  If they are not doing something right, it's not our place to announce it to the congregation and make them all question the authority.  If God placed them there, we are to pray for them.  If you've already talked about their authority or judged them, then repent.  
  • If you close your eyes and imagine God's Throne, where are you standing in relation to it?  If you aren't sitting in God's lap, run as fast as you can to get there.  I have never been one to see myself there, but this weekend, I finally did.  No better place to be.  Question:  Where are you in relation to the Throne?
Here's a few photos of our weekend at Prayer Lake.  Sorry, the beds not made, but you get the idea of how great the room is.  There is another retreat coming up in March.  I only picked a few points from the weekend to share so you can go experience it for yourself.  If you cannot make it, dig in to those questions above.  If you have not been to Prayer Lake, you should go.  Very worth the drive and time.  The place itself is so very peaceful and relaxing.  Take some time and go treat yourself!  You'll be glad you did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment